This month’s #romancingthehome theme is “Elevate Your Every Day”. I’ve really had to think about this one because, quite honestly, lately I am guilty of not elevating my everyday. I’m kind of just trying to keep my head above water over here, house-wise any way.
I’m sure that I am not the only one, right? How many of us are always rushing? Rushing to get the kids ready for school. Running off to work. Fighting with traffic. Oh, and don’t forget homework, homework, homework! Am I missing something? Yes! The kids might like to eat every once in a while too! Add to that a side hustle and you are, well, hustling 24/7. I’m not going to lie, keeping the house up has fallen a bit behind.
Did I, a home blogger, just admit that I have fallen behind on keeping up my house?
You’re damn right I did! As I sit here and type this, I look up and see:
- a vase with dying flowers in it – some of the rose heads have already fallen off the stems. The stems are looking at me like little decapitated stick men
- Laundry is strewn all over the workstation
- Leftover dishes from my daughter’s very healthy dinner of 2 minute noodles and juice are sitting on the coffee table.
- The sign that is usually above our TV fell down about 2 weeks ago. It’s still propped up next to the fireplace.
- My son’s socks, shoes and toys are dotted around the room, strategically placed to cause the most damage when kicked or stepped on
Things I have done:
- Fed the kids (2 minute noodles count, okay?!)
- Washed the laundry (at least it’s clean)
- Cleaned the kitchen (don’t you hate it when you have to make more dishes just as you’ve cleaned the last lot?!)
- Kept up with a full time job and a side hustle
- Most importantly, made time for kids and husband (both together and separately 😉)
So, how am I going to get on top of things?
Usually Hubs and I will attack the house with a vengeance on a Saturday morning. Divide and conquer so to speak. But, it still takes a good chunk of our Saturday morning and it doesn’t address the mess through the week.
But then something happened last week. While I was busy on my side hustle, I heard my daughter in the kitchen (from which she had banished me). I’m not telling you a word of a lie – she cleaned the whole thing. Out of her own. Packed the clean dishes away, re-packed the dishwasher, and wiped the counters down. Was it perfect? No. Was it done? Abso-effing-lutely! Add to that she had persuaded the 4 year old to pack his toys away…. Wow!
What did this teach me?
- I’m a very lucky mom (but I knew that already!)
- If they can do it once, they can do it again.
I have this information, what am I going to do with it?
Chore & Rewards charts! Why I haven’t done this earlier, I have no idea. I know they work. My kid were excited when I told them that this was the plan, if you can believe that. I was even asked again today when these charts would be put in to place. So, guess what I’m going to be doing this week! I’m sure that the novelty will wear off, but hey, I’ll take what I can get.
How does this elevate my everyday?
I don’t know yet, but it’s a start. It’s going to help me keep my head above water. It’s going to give me more time on the weekend to just be (and not be the crazy husband and wife team tearing through the house like a tornado). I’m going to be able to walk through my house when I get home from work without risk of breaking an ankle (I live in hope).
I will keep you updated on my progress in this regard – I have designated you as my accountability partner!
Want some more tips and tricks on “Elevating your Every Day”? Then check out my friend Ramona’s blog post. She is #goals!
Until next time,